Sunday, November 05, 2006

Increase in Productivity or Increase in Intrusion?

I am writing this on a train coming back from a business development weekend in Scotland - the train is moving and I am sitting here wondering whether the fact that I have cleared my emails, dealt with a client proposal for the NHS and am now writing a blog entry is an increase in productivity or just an increase in the levels of intrusion into my 'personal space'.

At present, I am feeling quite good about the experience in that I know when I finally get home at around midnight tonight that I will not have to deal with any emails and can just go to bed -but if I were here with a friend, had a good book to read or just did not feel like working, I would probably feel that the ability to access WiFi/Emails during the journey would be an intrusion, nagging away at me - asking for me to deal with issues.

In business, having a clear delineation between 'work time' and 'play time' (the latter which could include creative time) is vital - but the line between the two is disappearing. On Tuesday I have a meeting which we have had to book a room in a hotel to avoid being disturbed, but even there we will probably be interupted by mobiles and the occasional message at the hotel.

I worry that this blurring of work and play will have a serious impact on organisational performance as individuals have less and less time to themselves and less time to be creative - but for now I am just enjoying the ability to travel and work!

No comments: